Adium participated in this year’s Google Summer of Code and took 6 students for a full time internship. The projects they worked on where quite successful as it sounds.
Of course the thing I’m mostly looking forward to is the Audio/Video integration. It wasn’t completely finished in this SoC but it seems like they now have a pretty solid base to build upon.
The popular online Instant Messaging site Meebo launched a new service.
With meebo me you can easily embed a widget on you blog oder website, allowing visitors to instantly chat with you.
I think this service is great as it makes communicating with your sites visitors very easy and very instantaneous.
The only downside is that I have to be logged in on the Meebo site to use the service. Think of the advantage if they would offer a chat protocol that I can connect to with my Adium client to see people visiting my blog and talk to them. I can’t really imagine wanting to have the Meebo website open all the time.
Anyway… the idea of meebo me is awesome and very innovative.
The new Adium Version is now open for Beta testing. If you care a bout your system and only want stable software (haha!) don’t attempt to install it. But it is well worth the new features. A list can be viewed on the Beta page.
As noted: “Backing up a copy of the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/ before using betas or alphas is probably a good idea.”
Most noticeable changes
Major AIM, ICQ and .Mac improvements. This includes working File Transfer, and faster sign on.
Improvements to the default look and feel of Adium.
iTunes integration is much faster, and updates as soon as the song changes.
Added global user profile and buddy icon settings. (Personal Preferences)
General Account improvements. Accounts can now be disabled when not in in use, and friends can now sign on from your Adium without saving their information.
Added an Xtras manager to better handle browsing and removing Xtras.
Major improvements in privacy settings.
Redesigned Previous Chat (Log) Viewer
Requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later (Universal Binary)
The longer, complete list can be found here.
Most noticeable on this list are:
- Consulted the Vorlon. <- which is awesome considering they might be blasting our planet to hell anytime soon
- Can now Get Info on contacts who aren’t on your contact list (#2424) & (#193) <- that one’s in there twice so it should really work now 😉
- Added more popcorn to the general preferences. <- might be good for the hours you spend in there
- Added a contextual menu for tabs (#1595)
- Added a contextual menu to make sandwiches tastier. <- nothing to add to this item, food is always good 🙂
- Message view window can now be transparent <- I’ve been waiting for that!
- Emoticon text equivalents are not expanded to emoticon images inside of URLs <- I’ve got to implement this into my AJAX chat too …no – to much work *g*
- Now with 200% more cowbell
- Added a dock-like autohiding ability for the contact list <- this might be worth trying out
That’s about it, read the whole list if you’re interested or don’t be a coward and just download it, install it, use it and report bugs to the Adium team.
Wow! Those folks are fast, we’re already on Beta 3 now.
Apparently they are so fast that they traveled into the future, releasing the Beta 3 today while it will come out tomorrow.
Thanks to Google’s summer of code, a student will be helping to integrate Jingle into Adium, meaning that soon Audio and Video chats through Jabber will be here… finally!
I hope this project will be a success, A/V is the one thing thats missing from my favourite messenger.
This little program would have been so handy for me …a long time ago!
Certainly one of the things I encountered far too late after migrating to the Mac. And there are also some other people for whom this might have been handy too lately.
Adium Book syncs your contact data between Adium and the Apple Address Book. Simple, clean, fast and extremely useful 🙂