Facebook has released their new “Send” button that lets you share content all over the web with selected groups or individuals.
I wrote a little plugin that will insert this button under every post in your blog including the correct permalink.
This is version 0.1 and very basic. Head over to the project site to download and read about upcoming features.
Foursquare Latest Checkins Widget
I just released the first public version of my newest WordPress Plugin.
The Widget displays your latest Foursquare checkins in your sidebar. There are quite a few plugins out there that offer similar or even more features, but my motivation was, that I wanted the venue icons to show up as well. After a bit of research I found out, that the only way would be to use Foursquare’s API and not the private RSS feed most of the other developer used for easy integration.
Since I didn’t want to learn yet another API I just used Yahoo’s awesome YQL to get out the data I wanted. There is no caching impemented in the plugin at the moment, so it would be wise (anyway) to have some kind of page caching mechanism installed on your WordPress blog, otherwise it might slow down page loads, because of the sometimes relatively high latency of YQL calls.
Head over to the Foursquare Latest Checkins Plugin page to download.
Feel free to comment with feature requests, questions and criticism. I’ll try to answer it all!
I’ve finally found a new template for this blog, that I really like. I’m still playing around with some of the configs and plugins, but this seems to be pretty much how blog.no-panic.at will look from now on.
If anything is screwed up or you just want to tell me how awesome everything is now, drop me a line in the comments.
As much as I love the new Safari Beta Apple put out recently, there are a few problems which I’d like to point out.
- GrowlMail – As nearly everybody should know by now, the new WebKit kind of breaks the GrowlMail plugin for showing previews of new incoming mails. As a result I uninstalled the plugin and now I’m using Mail.appetizer
- Right click – I’m not entirely sure if this is indeed connected to the new Safari Beta, but since installing it, right clicking in most of my apps results in an application lockup for several seconds to minutes.
- Top Sites – I frequent quite a few online forums and as a result of them showing up in the top sites, I can’t see the “Posts since last visit”, because the sites seem to be loading in the background whenever the Top Sites are visible. So if I don’t click on the sites each and every time, the forums still count it as a visit and I “loose” the newest posts. Now I try to keep my Top Sites free of any online forums. We’ll see if that works out.
- WordPress Visual editor – A very annoying bug prevents me from adding links in WordPress’ visual post editor. The screen dims and the link overlay kind of displays but I can never click anything in it. Only remedy is to close the tab and reload it. I switched back to the HTML Editor on my blog now…
- HTML Access Keys – I can’t use CTRL + S to submit HTML Forms that have the accesskey property set on their inputs. Kinda sucks for me, as I’m a total keyboard shortcut junkie.
That’s it for now, I’ll add to that as I encounter more.
(And yes, I also submitted those bugs to the Apple engineers as any good beta tester should do!)
[update:] There’s a fix for the GrowlMail problem. See comments for details!
I shifted around a few things on my blog today. The main thing is, that the blog header now shows my latest tweet (which is also my latest Facebook status) and the time since it was posted.
Other improvements include a reorganisation of the sidebar widgets and a few CSS adaptions.