Posts tagged speed
- Google released an Apache module that auto tunes performance
Google has announced that they are launching a module for the Apache HTTP server called mod_pagespeed, that will automatically tune several properties to optimize page load speed. I haven’t tried it out yet, but will definitely do so.
Amongst other things, mod_pagespeed will:
- recompress images
- modify cache lifetime for static elements
- make changes to pages built by CMS
I don’t know if I’ll see a great performance on this server, as I already took care of a lot of speed improvements myself, but this module is a great way to implement common best-practices without having to dig into Apache’s configuration too much.
Read more and download the module on the Page Speed Google Code website.
- Facebook Mobile Announcements
Just a short summary of what Facebook announced yesterday, there’s already tons of coverage out there:
- Facebook for iPhone updated (as I hoped in my tweet just minutes before the event started).
- Facebook for Android updated.
- Single Sign-On for mobile platforms.
So you don’t have to deal with entering your password in every app that uses Facebook connect.
- Facebook Places API Update. Full read and write access for third parties.
- Deals. This sounds kind of like Groupon mixed with Foursquare.
Could be very interesting, once it reaches the critical mass of user adoption.
- No dedicated iPad App in the near future.
Although I’ve read about speculations of a HTML5 based website/app that could offer the same experience on multiple tablet based platforms.